Your new dental appliance – Maintenance and home care
- Always clean your teeth before putting the appliance in your mouth. This removes the invisible layer of plaque, which contains bacteria.
- After removal in the morning clean the inside and outside of your appliance with a soft toothbrush and liquid detergent.
- To add to the level of cleanliness – once a week you can soak the appliance in a specially designed dental appliance cleaning solution (eg caldent, sterident, polident) . Do not use hot water as this can deform the appliance and do not leave in the solution for more than 30 minutes.
- When storing the appliance, leave the container open to make sure it is fully dry before closing to prevent mould or mildew growth.
- Avoid exposing the appliance to excessive heat, including direct sunlight, as it could cause distortion.
- Beware of dogs – they love to chew oral appliances!
- Remember to bring your appliance with you whenever you attend dental appointments